Saturday, September 26, 2009

Killed For Blogging

It is amazing what those of us in the U.S. take for granted. Like this blog--I can slap down any old post (even though I hope at least some of my posts are informative and entertaining) and not think twice about it. I wouldn't get in trouble unless I defame someone, and even then that might be hard for someone to prove damages. But in other countries--those in the Middle East for example--the penalties for posting a negative or critical blog can be much higher. You may pay with prison time or your life.

I attended a blog meeting, where someone was talking about what it takes to be a blogging activist in the Middle East. First, it takes courage. Second, it takes smarts. Third, it takes networking to find people to help you with it. Fourth, it takes other people to share their stories. Something as simple as being able to set up a blogging platform quickly can help save a life. Check out mideastyouth.com/projects to see some amazing stories.