Saturday, August 16, 2008

Golf and Business

I always wondered why the important connection between golf and business? I used to hear that playing golf was important to a business career. It made me wonder why I--a non-golfer--and pretty much a non athlete--should be disadvantaged at business because I don't play golf? Curious, I asked a golf pro that question. Her answer indicated that it was not really the game of golf itself, or your ability at it that was important. She said that playing a round of golf allowed business associates or prospects enough time together to get to know each other. You could have a good conversation, make plans, brainstorm, and also observe someone in this setting. You would get to know if they are patient, rude, etc. So it is not just about golf. Actually, now that I am out of law school, I may take lessons. It has been one of the things on my list to do. I don't know if I would be good at it, but I would love to ride around in the golf cart, and there are some nice golf bags out there, and the ones with backpack straps would be easier to carry.

No comments: