Tuesday, November 11, 2008

No News Of Alicia Parlette

A few years back when I thought I might be sick, I did some research on the web and found Alicia Parlette's story. (Luckily, I found out soon after that I was not sick.) I immediately was taken by the 23-year old journalist in San Francisco who was writing a series for her paper about her cancer (sarcoma). Her writing was beautiful and compelling. It pulled you in and made you feel as if you were walking that walk with her--going to her doctor appointments and waiting to hear about the progression of her disease, and experiencing her ups and downs with her boyfriend and the solidness of her family relationships and friendships. She talked about her other travails such as having lost her mother a few years earlier. It was almost like reality TV, except without the TV and much better.

I would forget to read her updates regularly, but then all of a sudden I would remember and search for the latest submissions on the web. I would catch up and be happy that she seemed to still be doing well. A particularly long gap in my reading occurred, and then one day I checked on the web and found out that she had quit the newspaper and the column, but was continuing her updates through a blog at the paper. Again, I logged on and read some more of her stunning writing. About a year ago, she quit writing in any medium. I checked online today, and there are a number of posts inquiring as to where and how she is. There is no answer, except that her former newspaper has made a statement that she wants her privacy. This does not sound good, as maybe she is sicker. It has raised all kinds of questions about how much does a writer owe her readers when she invites them into her life? I guess we all would like to hear how she is doing, but she controls her privacy, as it should be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alicia Parlette is still listed among the sick in the newsletter for St. Dominic Catholic Church in San Francisco.

I sympathize with people who are curious about her status. I am curious too. But she was no longer a paid employee of the San Francisco Chronicle when she started blogging, and if she is now sick enough or in other circumstances such that blogging is not an option, it is unwise to judge her decision to disappear. So I agree with you that it is right for her to control her privacy. I hope she lives to see her grandchildren have children.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering about Alicia, too, and found this today - http://www.mksluckysocks.com/MK_McKowns_Lucky_Socks/MKs_Journal/Entries/2008/11/16_Entry_1.html - sfrederick@cdhklaw.com

bizzgirl said...

Sue--Thanks so much for the link. I read it, and glad to hear the news! I will post the link on my blog. The blog you found it on is wonderful too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bizzgirl - I couldn't see where to email you so I want to leave this comment here on this post and hope that you see it.

I'm a friend of Alicia's and her health recently took a drastic turn for the worse. Her friends are working on putting together a site to raise awareness of her health issue and raise funds to cover her medical expenses - please visit www.msparlette.com.

Thank you for your interest in her story and health.