Sunday, November 16, 2008

Revisitng Jonestown

It is the 30th anniversary since the tragedy at Jonestown, and I have watched the specials on both CNN and MSNBC. Jonestown occurred when I was a young person, and of course I knew what it was and that it was horrible. But being young, I guess I didn't think too much about it except that I was shocked that people would kill themselves under Jim Jones direction. Seeing the programs, it made clear that not everybody drank the koolaid voluntarily. There were a lot of people who got the poison injected, indicating that they did not drink the koolaid and were forced to die. The footage of the dead bodies is terrible. One newsman said that Jonestown was the worst tragedy he ever covered. I still have trouble understanding why people would so willingly follow Jones to Guyana (or even in the U.S.) but once they were in Guyana, they really had no way to leave. What a nightmare.

No comments: