Friday, November 19, 2010

People Asking For Money On The Street

Our town has had less panhandling recently, because many of the homeless are now selling a homeless newspaper and as a result are getting off the street. They are becoming little entrepreneurs and making enough money to put deposits down on apartments. And the writing in the paper is actually very good.

So we are getting used to less panhandling, which is good. It is really uncomfortable to have people come up to you and ask for money.

So I was taken back the other day when I went to get gas and to the post office and was confronted twice in a 10 minute period by someone asking for money. One man said his wife and children were in a motel about a mile away, and could I go there and help them? That was a red flag. Why would I need to go to the m otel, and what could I possibly do for them. When I was getting gas, a man was running up the street toward me with a gas can, yelling and point at me. I guess he wanted me to buy him some gas. That is a bad position to be in, but it scared me, so I finished pumping gas and jumped back in my car, shaking my head at him that I could not buy it for him.

Is this going to get worse or better?

No comments: