Saturday, December 1, 2007

Business Wake Up Call

In my new job, working for my "relative" boss, I have had a whole range of emotions. Glad that I am there--I don't want the business to go outside the family. Frustration at my relative and his tunnel vision and sometimes short sightedness. His tendency to be a micro manager and even hateful at times. Awe at his ability to work numbers and carry formulas in his head. Glad I am there even though sometimes I get a little bored. Glad I am there and looking forward to the future there.

On an average day, running the business doesn't look that hard. But I had a wake up call last week. My relative was sick, not really sick, but had a bug. This was unusual for him. It made me worry a little. Like what if this could be more than a bug, or could turn into more than a bug?

I suddenly realized that I don't know as much about the business yet as I need to. Hopefully I will have a lot of time to learn from him.

No comments: