Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mom Doing Well After Back Surgery

I know the old saying--don't let anyone cut on your back. I have heard that from relatives and others all my life. Luckily, I have never had back problems, so I have never had to worry about whether to have back surgery or not.

My mother though is in her 70s and has had a stroke before (she recovered beautifully from the stroke though) and then all of a sudden, she started talking about back surgery. What??? I said. She had never complained that much about her back. Her knees are what have bothered her all of these years. Well, apparently, I guess the two can be related, and that maybe her back problem was causing her knee problems??? I will never know, because my mother doesn't pass on details very well, but that is the best I could surmise.

Well, she sailed through the back surgery very well and is of course pain free now. We were all thankful. I know her primary care physician had been skeptical about whether she should have the surgery or not. She showed all of us. Her back surgeon was some kind of new fangled doctor who had invented some procedures or something. I can't explain it. I have read about some new back surgery techniques, but again, I don't know whether those are the ones used in her case. Like I said, she doesn't talk much about details. But, whatever the surgeon did for her, it worked. And we are all so glad.

No comments: