Monday, November 5, 2012

Deciding What Kind Of Law You Want To Practice

I have now been a licensed attorney for three years. But I only practice law part time, so building my career has been a slow process. I could go out now and hang a shingle full time, but there is that pesky problem of needing income in the interim while you build clients Also being solo can be tricky. You don't have the other people in the office who can help you.

I have been trying to be honest with myself about my limitations in practicing law. You get flattered when someone wants you to help them, but then you find out you might be in over your head with the case. So, I am realizing the benefits of specialization, and not being everything to everyone.

I like disability law. It is a good fit for me, because I can immediately see I am helping people. I also like collections work--working on both sides of the fence. And I have done a little landlord/tenant law. After talking with a raleigh commercial real estate attorney I have come to understand the range of work you can do as a real estate lawyers. Those three things might keep me busy enough!

No comments: