Saturday, October 13, 2007

Moot Court Blues--Episode 1

We have actually had a few meetings of moot court--this entry will talk about some of the things we have experienced so far.

We have gotten our teams and our trial dates, and unfortunately, our date is right between two final exam and the week after I go out of town for homecoming! Ugh! The good news is that we also got our trial assignment today, and it looks fairly easy. It is a criminal case. We had one last year too and were hoping to get another one. There are less things to do in a criminal case. Also, one of our team members is a police officer, so he knows some of the things that need to be done!

Things had been swimming along in moot court until today. The teacher had been calling on volunteers to get up everyweek to teach a certain subject to the class. The last several weeks, he had no problem getting a volunteer, but today no one raised their hands. He then called on one person, who wasn't prepared (which he has told us gets a black mark), then called on a couple who weren't there, and called on another person who was not prepared to talk, and than on another student who wasn't there. He was getting agitated by the second. I knew it--he then called on me! Luckily I had read the assignment about 10 minutes before walking into class. I did not prepare an outline of the subject (and told him so) but said I did read it and could talk about it.

I stood behind the podium with my book, and probably read more out of the book than he would have liked, but again I did not have an outline. I finished and sat down. He said nothing! Nothing! I couldn't believe it! I can remember what he said after the others had finished. But he said nothing after I talked. I think he should have thanked me, because at least I was ready and willing to take on the task!

No comments: