Sunday, October 14, 2007

What's the Big Idea, Ann Coulter?

I don't know where to begin to talk about Ann Coulter. I have never agreed with her. Too conservative, too outspoken, too sarcastic. Many of her ideas are wacky or hateful. But at one point I thought she was funny. She used to appear on Bill Maher's show. Again--I never agreed with her, but thought she had the gift of the one-liner. Some of her comments were sort of witty.

But lately, it almost seems as if she is losing it. She's not funny anymore, or even very relevant. But she is mean spirited. Like when she slammed the 911 widows. Maybe she was tired of being shushed, or whatever it was when she wanted to complain about them, but she could have found a better way to complain than to say that the widows were having a good time exploiting their dead husbands, or something similar to that. Unbelievable!

She spoke a couple of years ago at Vanderbilt University. I would have liked to have been there, but had something else to do that night. But she didn't disappoint--she of course was tacky and saracastic and inappropriate as usual. Then getting into it with Elizabeth Edwards--how smart is that?

The latest is her appearance on Donny Deutsch's show, The Big Idea. I only caught part of it, but did hear the part where she was talking about how Jews needed to be perfected. Again, she caused a stir over something she didn't even need to bring up. And now she is claiming to be such a Christian? Sorry Ann, I don't see it. Maybe try acting like a Christian????

It seems like she is losing her fan base. At this point, I don't know whether to feel sorry for her (as in she is digging herself into a hole that it will be hard to climb out of) or to chuckle and just think she did it to herself.

****************************************

I have been trying to read constitutional law tonight. I have to say it is the hardest textbook I have had (except for maybe taxation last year). The editor is not very good. Other textbooks we have used in our other classes have been easier to read, and had better editors, I think.

No comments: