Saturday, April 19, 2008

Women's Inroads--Some Are Fairly Recent

Things seem pretty fair and equal between the sexes these days, so sometimes remembering the history of the women's movement can be startling. As in how recent some of these gains are. Like for instance, women's admittance to all men clubs. I am a member of Rotary and joined in 1999. I was reading the rotarian magazine today and had no idea that women were not admitted until 1987. I guess I should have known this, but somehow it escaped me. So that means a mere 12 years before I joined, I could not have joined. How wierd is that? And I can't see any reason that our club or any club would be any better if it were all male. It is still predominantly male and we need more women, but the presence of women makes it a better club. So I am glad women are able to join. They should have been allowed to a lot earlier.

No comments: