Friday, September 12, 2008

9/11 Remembered

I watched the first hour of MSNBC's coverage of 9/11 from that year, and it was just as horrific this time around. I remember that morning very well. I had just gotten out of the shower, and the phone was ringing. My boyfriend from England was calling. "What is going on over there? There are planes flying into all kinds of buildings?" I had no idea what he was talking about. I turned on the TV, and there it was. Like most people, I was spellbound by the horror and couldn't believe it was really happening. It had to be a movie, I thought. As the minutes passed, I quickly got up to speed on what was going on. Not only had the two twin towers been hit, but the Pentagon had just been hit, and there reports that another plane had been hijacked in PA. For a brief moment, I thought everything was out of control. Everything. The best thing that happened was for the planes to be grounded. It put the control back in our hands. I was one who was hit hard by 9/11. I was depressed and crying for weeks. And I just saw it on TV. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be have been on the streets in Manhattan, or near the Pentagon or Shanksville, PA.

No comments: