Monday, March 5, 2012

Linked In

Author: Isiah Williams

After ten years with the same company, I recently found myself unemployed. The economic downturn had been very hard on my company, and part of me knew it was only a matter of time before cuts were made, but it still came as a surprise when I was actually notified that I was no longer needed. After the initial sting wore off though, I knew that it was probably for the best. I hadn’t been happy for quite awhile, and took this opportunity to find something that would make me happier. It turns out, though, that the job searching process had changed quite a bit since I was last looking for work! Everything now is so competitive, and a good friend told me that the only way to get my resume in the right hands was to network. So I use LinkedIn for all it’s worth! I connect to everyone I meet, and I’ve started posting compelling articles as I come across them, just to increase people’s awareness of me. The best thing I’ve found in my search is that I can actually do all of this from the park, or a coffee shop, or wherever! I didn’t know this was an option until I did a search one day for 4g Edison. I was really just trying to better understand this new 4G business…and I am so glad I did! I stumbled upon my new favorite internet company. It’s made the job search a lot more enjoyable, since I’m not chained to my home office!

No comments: