Friday, September 28, 2007

Jury Duty Pooty

I was so excited when I got my jury duty notice about a month or so ago. I had never been called for jury duty and had always wanted to serve. My first thought when I saw the card was, I wonder if attorneys would choose me for a jury since I am in law school. My feeling was no, and that was confirmed by other people who had been dismissed for that same reason. But I was hopeful that I would be picked--it would be a chance for me to see a real trial up close.

Well Monday morning came and I arrived at the courthouse. I brought my constitutional law textbook with me to read--I figured I could hide it in my book bag if needed.

But I had no luck that day. A computer randomly picks out groups of 30 jurors for voir dire. Thirty is as large of a group as they need. I guess the computer knew I was out there in the waiting room studying my constitutional law, because it passed me by. I didn't get picked for the first or second trial. So back to work I went. But in the short time I was there, I could feel how exciting it would be to work in that courthouse.

No comments: