Saturday, September 15, 2007

A Peek at the Carnies

Going to work I drive through the fairgrounds, which is usually an open road. Now that the state fair is on, the road is closed, and I have take a detour that takes me out of my way a few blocks. One thing about the detour is that it takes me close to where the carnies' bunkhouses are. I had never thought about where carnies lived--to be honest I never thought much about carnies at all. But now that I have been having to drive past their bunks multiple times a day, they are on my mind.

The doors to some of the bunkhouses have been open, letting me see inside. I have to say it has made me sad to see where they live. It is like a long trailer, divided up into small closets where they have a bunk or mattress. It looks pretty basic. Clothes are strewn around. Jeans and other clothes are also on a line outside, as if they have been washed and hung up to dry. Some people sit on the stoops outside, and a number of bicyles are scattered around.

My curiosity led me to google "carnie life" and I read a few items. Carnies are the working homeless, I discovered. But they have a real community and take their work seriously. I told a friend about the sad looking bunkhouses, and he said that lifestyle probably holds a real attraction for some people. I agree, although it certainly wouldn't be for me. It's just too bad they have to live in those small closets, even though they pay very little to stay there it seems.

No comments: