Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lee Ann Rimes a Hit at Schermerhorn Symphony Center

Last night I went to the Nashville Symphony Pops Concert featuring Lee Ann Rimes. It was an absolute treat. She has a new fan.

I have heard of Lee Ann Rimes for years, but to tell you the truth, I had never heard her sing. I did not know about her first hit "Blue," which everyone in the whole world seems to know about. In fact, I was clueless about her.

She came on stage last night after the intermission. At first I was underwhelmed. I am not a country music fan, and her first couple hits seemed to be country tunes.

But soon, she had rolled over into the rock and roll and blues genres. I am not an expert, but I really think her talent is better suited for these categories. She has a very powerful voice and it seemed to get lost on her country tunes. But she filled the house with her voice on the rock and blues tunes. (But don't listen to me, I know nothing about country music on purpose, almost.)

I would go to another concert of hers, and I might even buy a CD. Which says a lot, because I have enjoyed country music artists in person before, but would not buy their CDs.

The only disappointment came when I read her bio, and she did not grow up in Nashville or attend high school here like I thought. She was home schooled out of Mississippi. She always seemed to be in the local press, but she had a contract with a record label here, so I guess that is why. And I guess she could travel here a lot, being home schooled.

But her performance was so good last night, you could have heard a pin drop. But that is also partly due to the perfection of the Symphony Center. It is a joy to be there. If you haven't attended a performance there, try to do so soon.

No comments: