Saturday, September 8, 2007

Moot Court Blues--Pilot Episode

This week was the first week for moot court. I had heard bad stories about the class and the teacher. I had seen him walking around, and he seemed like a curmudgeon. I was really dreading it.

Well, it turned out not to be as bad as I was fearing. At least not yet. The man actually has a sense of humor, and showed it in class. He told some stories on himself. He said he didn't want us studying for other classes during moot court, but then sort of left the impression that maybe we could do that if we are not too obvious about it. (I could really use that time to study!)

He also answered the question, "Why take moot court?" He said that many people do not think they will be in the courtroom as lawyers, or that they will even practice law. But he said he has known many students to change their mind down the road, and either decide to practice law, or if already practicing law, decide they do want to be in the courtroom. So the class can give you some good foundation.

He also made the point that new lawyers should not go into private practice with just their classmates. He said make sure you go into practice with older, more experienced lawyers. That makes sense, but some people must not do that. I certainly would not want to practice law as a new attorney with just other new attorneys. I would be afraid I would not know what to do.

So, we divided up into our teams, and I am with the same team I had before. We asked to be together again, as we work well together. I think it is going to a fine class and that we will learn a lot. He is going to grade us tougher than the other teacher did, so that will be a big difference.

No comments: