Tuesday, July 15, 2008

New Yorker and Obama: Bad Magazine Cover

There is one thing I am an expert at: conceptualizing magazine covers. And magazine content, including illustrations in general. Over my career, there were many times I would have to put myself in the shoes of my readers, or whomever may pick up a copy of my magazine. I would always ask myself does the illustration portray the content accurately and fairly? Is there any chance the illustration or photograph would send the wrong message?

When you are in the communications business, the one thing you are afraid of is sending the wrong message. If you are a communicator and don't communicate the right message, that means you are a poor communicator. Definitely one thing you don't want to do.

That doesn't mean you don't want to stretch your audience and make them think. You definitely want to do that. But you have to deliver the correct message.

Did the New Yorker magazine do that? In fairness, I have not seen the magazine or read the article yet.

But from what I have heard, they have not. Apparently, the magazine cover was satire. There is nothing wrong with satire, but to be honest, a lot of people don't get satire. That is not a condemnation of them, it is just the truth. I am afraid the staff at the New Yorker violated my long standing gut test: Is the illustration going to send the wrong message. In this case, for many people, I am afraid it is. I am glad I did not make that decision.

No comments: