Saturday, December 25, 2010

Bad Reps For Disability Lawyers, Guardian Ad Litems?

I am a new attorney, trying to eke out a side practice in law while staying in my old job. Don't know whether I will practice law full time or not. Most times I do want to go full time, but can't figure out how to do that. Especially in this economy; especially since I am single and there is no other income or person who provides benefits

Two of the legal areas I am interested in are disability law and juvenile guardian ad litem work. I am already a disability lawyer, with a couple of clients. I like the work, but it is slow. I heard a judge say the other day that claimant representatives (lawyers) do not the have the best reputations with the judges. That they consider many disability lawyers to be lazy, etc. Some of that, apparently, is seen as an outgrowth of the slowness of the process, that it makes for bad lawyering. At least that is what he seemed to be saying.

Then the other day, I heard that an assistant DA said she had never seen a good guardian ad litem. I guess she sees a lot of them--I don't know for sure, but I guess she does; juvenile issues must creep into the domestic violence cases she handles.

But never seen a good guardian ad litem? That is pretty strong. Of course, that is just hearsay to me, as I didn't hear her say that; someone else just told me she said that.

I feel kind of depressed--both of my areas seem to be looked down on, at least from these two people. Yes, they are only two people, but their opinions carry a lot of weight.

No comments: