Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sign Wars At Belmont Presidential Debate

First, I want to compliment Belmont University on how beautiful it looked last night. It always looks nice, but it was particularly gussied up last night for the presidential debate. It was gorgeous.

I am so glad I went over to campus before the debate. I was not one of the 80 lucky ones that got chosen to sit in the pod inside. But it was really fun outside. I hung out by the MSNBC tent and saw Chris Matthews broadcasting his show Hardball. In between things, he stood up and came over to those lined up, but I was about three people back in the row, so I did not get to talk with him. It was neat seeing him though.

There was definitely some sign wars going on last night. Surprisingly, and luckily, it was an Obama crowd that showed up for Hardball. We did have the occasional unfortunate McCain/Palin supporter flounting their usual drivel on a sign, something with the word terrorist on it. Jeez, get a life. And a brain.

But there were also some Obama sign wars. The polite v. the tacky. Most Obama signs were tasteful--the usual campaign stuff. There were a few that were distasteful--ones that spouted "Palin Makes Me Puke" "Palin the Parrot" and one that had McCain and Palin depicted as Frankenstein and Frankenstein's wife.

The Obama staff quietly and politely asked such people to put their signs down--that they didn't want the signs on TV. They were asking because they wanted the event to be positive--no negative campaign stuff. Most of the people put their signs down right away in the spirit of the event. Some didn't--they wanted to exercise their 1st Amendment rights.

I am a 1st Amendment nut, but even I can see the problem with showing such tacky signs. You want to take the high road and not be the campaign that disparages the other side.

One of the sign holders stood her ground and would not lower her sign. I did my good deed by covering her sign with my sign. I had a typical Obama sign. The woman never even seemed to notice I was doing that,which I thought was wierd.

I did my part for a positive campaign, and that makes me proud. I hope Obama's campaign can stay positive these next few weeks. We want to be the winner, both in the numbers and in the high ground territory.

No comments: