Saturday, February 26, 2011

Do I Need To Buy Some Writing Software?

I am a longtime writer, but when I worked as an editor full time, my company supplied all of our tools. We first had Word Perfect, and then we switched to Microsoft Word. I didn't have to worry about any of this, because it was taken care of for us.

But now, I don't work as an editor full-time, but work in another field, non writing related. I am writing and editing on the side however and now I have to make these decisions for myself. I use Open Office, because it is free, and I hear it is as good Microsoft Word. However, I keep getting documents from people that are in Word, and I can't open them, which is problemmatic. I also feel like I am handicapped in bidding on freelance writing and editing assignments, because so many people use word.

So I am thinking I need to think about getting some other kind of writing software.  Something that will help me in being more versatile and also help check spelling and grammar more. I am going to start researching
what other kinds of English writing solutions there are out there. I don't need a lot of help in that arena, but I would like a program that offers a lot of writing tools can help me do a variety of writing projects.

I want to be able to make tracking changes, write ebooks, maybe even do power points. That would help me win more projects.

No comments: