Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Body Heat

I remember when I first saw the wonderful movie Body Heat, starring William Hurt and Kathleen Turner. I kept thinking where in the world is this movie supposed to be set? Maybe southern Texas, maybe Louisiana, or southern Alabama, or southern Florida. (It turns out it is southern Florida.) I knew it wasn't Tennessee, as back then we hardly had any days that were that hot.

But that was then, and this is now. We have been in a stretch of unprecedented 100 F degree days. It used to be that every summer we would have a couple of days that reached 100, but this year it has been day after day. Well, I stand corrected--yesterday it went down to a cool 97 degree F. So maybe we are starting into the cooling phase.

There are some people in Nashville who don't have air conditioning, and I don't see how they cope. A number of people in Memphis have died from the heat this summer.

I was out at the pool this past weekend--swimming and studying. While in the pool of course, I was fine, but it really was too hot to be sitting by the pool for any length of time. I was studying, so I sat out there too long. And again on Sunday. Enough time for me to feel kind of sick on Sunday night. Was it heat exhaustion? I don't know, but the symptoms fit the description.

This heat together with the flooding in Oklahoma, etc., has made it a hard summer for some.

And people say there is no global warming? And even if they don't believe there is global warming, I don't understand why they don't think we should be good stewards of the planet. That's the least we can do for future generations.

No comments: