Monday, August 6, 2007

The Old Gray Mare

She ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be....and she won't be anything very soon.

I have mentioned the gray monstrosity next to my building--the old ugly apartment building that is such an eyesore. They are going to tear it down and build one of Nashville's new hip condo buildings in its place. I am really excited--I have hated that old building for so long. It is ugly and makes the corner look dilapidated. The last tenants moved out last week. It is eerie to see a totally empty, dark building. I think I mentioned that last week I took my dog and walked around the building and peered in the windows and doors. I was surprised to see hardwood floors. That seems too fancy for that building. And in one apartment, there was a mural painted on a whole wall. Someone had some talent. Things have gotten worse and worse with the pile of furniture tossed out back growing, and the smell in the dumpster more putrid.

But tonight as I drove into the alleyway to get to my house, I had to catch my breath. There is a bulldozer parked out front of the gray building, with its claw down in front of the downstairs apartments. It looks like they may start demolition tomorrow. As much as I want that building to come down, and the new one to go up, it is sad to see that bulldozer. I think it is always sad for some reason to see something torn down. I don't like that building, but I know the tenants did. Some country music wannabes lived there. People who had a good time lived there. The gray tabby cat that still lives there likes it too. Because of that I am sad.

No comments: