Saturday, August 25, 2007

No More Movies at Vanderbilt University's Sarratt Center

I was wandering around Vanderbilt campus today (a tough thing to do in 100 F degree weather). There was a lot of activity, as students are moving in this weekend, and throngs of students and parents were moving items into dorm rooms, getting IDs and textbooks, and getting acquainted with where things are.

After running my errands on campus, I walked into the Sarratt Center to get the latest film schedule. In recent years, I haven't been able to attend many of the movies, but I was hoping to squeeze in a few this year, somehow in between law class and studying for tests.

When I got to the front desk, I looked for the schedules, which ususally are on the counter. I didn't see any and asked the people behind the desk where they were. They told me they are not showing movies anymore at Sarratt; Last year many of the shows only attracted a few people, and they just couldn't justify it anymore. Parking was an issue now: New construction has taken many of the few parking spaces that were available, and it is just too hard for people to get there, as Sarratt is in the middle of campus. People have to park on the periphery and walk into the heart of the campus to go to the center.

That was disappointing news, as Sarratt once ran some of the best movies in town. Current films, classic films, quirky films. They used to hold the Nashville Film Society series. The people at the desk said they will not start showing movies again until enough people say they want it back.

Granted the great Belcourt Theatre in Hillsboro Village can pick up the slack in showing the quality art films and such. But there was something special about the showings in Sarratt. Often Vanderbilt would hold educational panels to go along with certain films.

So if you feel strongly about this, give Sarratt a call. I already voiced my opinion.

No comments: