Monday, March 3, 2008

Lining Up Bar Exam References

As the year starts on the downhill slide, my mind has turned to the infamous bar application. Like everything connected to the bar, the number of references we need seems excessive. There are several categories we have to nail down.

First, we have to have three letters of recommendations from our law professors. I received my third one today (all three from judges). I am so thrilled, and they seemed happy to comply with my request for the letters. I will attach them to the application.

Not surprisingly, we also need employment references. I have asked a current colleague and lined up three from my last place of employment. I really only need one, but I was there for such a long time, I thought maybe I should ask three, and they all said they would speak of me glowingly. They don't have to write a letter but have to respond to questions the bar examiners may have.

Then there is the general reference category, and we need six of them. I have asked six friends and/or colleagues and they have all agreed. Two of them are deans, four of them are professors (two are law professors), another is a judge, four are lawyers, and one is on staff of an agency where I used to serve on the board of directors. I think this is a good mix, and I am so grateful to know such good people and that they think well of me to do this.

One more step accomplished on the road to the bar exam!

No comments: