Friday, March 14, 2008

Self Sabotage at Work--Fear of Progress Variety

There are a number of ways people sabotage themselves at work, and I have been very aware of one kind recently. I work for a business in a mature industry. That means we have to be on our toes and on the lookout for ways to grow in the future or we will become irrelevant. We have had a number of good ideas, and we get them started, and they.........all fizzle out. Or at least most of them. Why is that.? Because the projects linger on the owner's desk. It is very strange. He wants the company to grow and succeed, but then he doesn't follow through. Or he takes such a long time that all momentum is lost. He loses steam, and then people lose interest, and then he seems to wonder why things don't get done. And then he tends to blame other people for things not getting done.

Huh?

I can't figure out why he would do this. My only thought is that he is really afraid of the outcome. What if we get a lot more business? Or that we have to start thinking in other new ways? With our Website, people will now be able to access their own information rather than coming through us to get it. Does that wierd him out?

All I know is that I hope he will stop this soon or that I can shake him out of it. After all, it may be my company someday, and we need to stop just talking about the future and actually do something about it.

No comments: