Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Short and Sweet Basketball Career

When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a basketball player. I really did. It tore my heart out that I couldn't play. I really couldn't. I just couldn't dribble the ball down the court and shoot the ball into the basket. There you have it. It was not in the cards for me to play basketball. But how I pined over the fact. I wanted to be on the 8th grade girls' team so badly. Looking back, it is hard to believe that I wanted that so much, because I am not an athlete, and where in the world did that desire come from? I have never wanted anything else so badly in terms of athletics. Well, of course I did not make the team. No surprise there. So the following year, I did the next best thing: I was one of the team's managers. And I loved it. I really did. I got to go to all the games of course and even kept score a few times. And got to flirt with the cute coach. Being a manager seemed to satisfy my craving for being on the basketball team. (Wish everything could be solved so easily!) And I didn't even mind that the other girls were the ones getting all of the basketball trophies.

No comments: