Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Me And Him" Ain't Gonna Cut It

Being an editor, I cringe at bad grammar. Especially from people who should know better. It seems in the last couple of years there has been an escalation of bad grammar of the "Me and Him" variety. You know what I mean--"Me and him went to the movies." That is only surpassed by the worse "Him and Me" variety. "Him and me went to the movies." Arrrggghhh!!!

Folks it really isn't that difficult! The other night I heard one of my friends say one of the above phrases, and I about died. She has a master's degree! OK--she hasn't been in the workforce for some years, but still! And another one of my friends lost her job because of her poor grammar. I feel bad for her, but I can understand why that happened. She was in a very high level office, and you just have to speak correctly there.

People can get by with some smaller violations. No one speaks correctly all of the time. But glaring errors like "Me and Him" and "Him and Me" are just not acceptable. When people say things like this, you know it is not a slip up of the tongue--it sounds like they just don't better. And there are consequences for not using proper grammar. I have never understood why people don't learn how to speak correctly. It is something you can learn. And if people would just pay attention to how educated people speak, they could pick it up.

Here is an interesting column on this subject:

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Features/Columns/?article=RuiningMovies&gt1=27004

No comments: