Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Is Online Freelancing The New Online Dating?

After being an independent contractor on a couple of freelance writing websites for a little over a year, I have finally settled into a comfortable place. I am making enough money on the side from freelancing to complement my full time salary and actually get somewhere. Somewhere meaning being debt free, financially secure, and paying for some minor luxuries without panicking sometime on the horizon.

I have to admit it is a nice place. So many employers (a misnomer actually for those hiring independent contractors) only want to pay a pittance for work, sometimes as low as $1 an article for 500 words, and of course, they want it RIGHT NOW. Since I am a professional writer and editor, I pay no attention to these people. I won't even tell you what I think of them. (It is not good.)

But I have two regular gigs that are pulling in some nice money weekly. But they take time. I am also to the point, where I have to be careful to not take on too much work. When I bid and get selected, I am always flattered and want to do the work. But you have to be careful not to take on more than you can do well per week or month. When you have a full-time job, that can be hard to figure out.

But what is funny is how many employers post jobs and never fill them. Or contact you by phone or email, sometimes having a lengthy discussion, saying they want to hire you, and then you never hear from them again. Or even that they hire you for a job that they posted, and you never hear from them again. What gives? It reminds me so much of the online dating that I also do. All show and no follow through.

No comments: