Sunday, September 11, 2011

Meetups Born Of 9/11

I belong to a wordpress meetup and recently also joined a wine tasting meetup, although I have not been to a wine meeting yet. I think the idea of meetups is wonderful. I would love to find a boating one and other meetups on topics I am interested in. I just have to keep checking the local website, as new meetups are added all of the time.

Scott Heiferman, CEO and co-founder of Meetup, sent out a mass email yesterday explaining the relationship between 9/11 and Meetup. He lived in Manhattan, and after 9/11, he noticed that neighbors were paying attention to each other for the first time and actually being neighborly. That people were taking the time to say hello and be nice to one another. 9/11 spawned a whole new interest in knowing one another.

Heiferman wondered if you could use the internet to get people off the internet to get to know each other pesonally.

To state the obvious, yes. He had a great idea, and it has connected people face to face in one of the best ways possible: through mutual interests.

No comments: