Saturday, October 1, 2011

My Freelancing Is Drying Up?

Wasn't it only the other day that I was bragging on myself that I was sitting pretty with freelance writing Pulling in a decent amount of extra money every month? Well, how quickly things change. I had two extremely good contracts on odesk, one of the freelance websites. Pulling in some good money. And all of us who use those websites know how unusual it is to make good money on there. Well, I was doing it. And I had plans for that money!

The one contract, to be honest, went two months longer than expected. He hired me for two months, but I went five. So actually, it was a bonus. But he closed the job, saying it was complete. I loved that job, and it paid well. Oh well. I knew it was going to happen--I was just hoping he would use me in perpetuity. The other job pays a little less than the other, but still well. We were backed up on work, and that was a good thing. There was always work to do.  But today, there is none. What happened? I am fairly new with the contract, and others on the team have told me that work ebbs and flows with the project. So, I guess it will come back up. But I was counting on working a lot of hours this weekend. I need the money!

The life of a freelancer. At least I do have a regular job. This is why I would be scared to freelance full time. Things come and go too much. But it is good to have on the side.

1 comment:

ERP said...

Nice! I only recently found your blog, but have enjoyed the post and will be back to read again soon.