Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hiring Well

I just read an article in the local paper about how employers are starting to put more emphasis on personality when hiring a new employee. The "how well do they play with others" factor. In recent years, I have come to think of this as very important too.

I remember in my last job, thinking that at least a couple of people there should not have been hired. One was very good at her job, but very manipulative and self centered. I always thought it would be better to have the second best candidate and one who is a good team player and that you can trust.

The other person was neither a good team player nor good at her job. Oh well. I was not the hiring manager in the office, so I did not have a voice.

There is nothing worse than having a bad personality in the office. And usually these people are at least just good enough at their jobs to keep them, so you can't really fire them.

At my new job, I feel there should be more emphasis on hiring well. My relative boss usually just hires someone quickly, if they have the basic qualifications. Most of the time it works out, but not always.

Hiring well, and looking more closely at personality is something I want to emphasize more going forward.

No comments: