Thursday, November 1, 2007

Cramming for a Law Final

It is lucky that I am a good studier and that I can cram well. I do all the things they say not to--I stay up too late too many nights in a row; I get behind in my reading; I study in front of the TV; I do last minute cramming, but I almost always do well, if not really well on my tests.

Tonight I had my domestic law final. I do wish I had one more day to study, but I have to say that by the time I walked into the classroom, I had a good handle on the information, whereas last week, I couldn't have said the same thing.

There was a lot of material though. It was a one quarter class, and I think it could have been a two quarter class. In domestic law, there are a lot of list of factors for everything from grounds for divorce, defenses to divorce, factors when considering awarding alimony and what kind, and factors for custody modification, and on and on and on and on and on.

In my notes from last last week, my teacher had said to make sure to know the 11 factors for custody modification. Unfortunately, I didn't see that note until about an hour before the test, so I panicked and started looking for a list with 11 factors. I searched through my notes and my outlines and could not find it. I found however a 16 factor list, a 10 factor list, the 14 factor list, but no 11 factor list. (I told you there were a lot of lists.) I figured out that he probably meant the 10 factor list and studied that.

For the first time, I developed some mnemonics for these lists. I ususally don't bother because I just figure that is one more thing to remember. But this time I thought it might be worthwhile. So I made up "IbadIcarpHicLaid" for grounds for divorce; "Lisppcccjugdr" for defenses to divorce; "RRRDapesMeco" for factors in awarding alimony; and "LidsmHere" for the comparative fitness test. I stopped at four, unlike one of my study buddies who came up with about six or seven.

Yes, I could have prepared better for the test, but I think I did OK. Hope so at least. I probably won't find out for several weeks. IboPaN--"I'll be on Pins and Needles!"

No comments: