Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nashville is a Happy City

How happy is Nashville? A convoluted article on the MSN website today tried to lay out the elements. Below are the factors they came up with. I agree with some and don't agree with others.

1) Being married. They say if you are married, you are happier, and you are more likely to be married if you live in the south. I have heard of this before. harrumph! I am much happier single than many married people, thank you very much!

2) Regular attendance at church--their thinking is that church allows a way for people to support each other. I get and give support without going to church, thank you very much!

3) Living in a city with lots of sunshine--according to the MSN story, I should only be about 50 percent happy, because Nashville only ranks 56 percent annual possible sunshine. Say what? It is sunny here alot.

4) Being engaged in your work. Good, I have that one. The unemployment rate they had for Nashville was 3.7 percent.

5) Being healthy helps you be happy. Nashville is ranked 18th in the MSN list in terms of health. That is better than the state of Tennessee tends to rank as a whole for health. Good, because I am healthy!

6) Time for family, friends, and community. The article says we are working longer hours and have less time for friends and family, and this includes longer commute times. I am really engaged with family and friends. The average commute time for Nashvillians is 25.6 minutes. Mine is 15 minutes. In my previous job, it was 5 minutes.

7) How giving are you? I love to do volunteer work. I wish I could donate more money. Well, maybe someday. The article ranked Nashville as 19th in giving. I am totally surprised. This is a very philanthropic city. It should be ranked higher.

8) Good urban design. The article says that good urban design helps people get to know each other better, and therefore they are happier. Whoops--OK, Nashville is not great in this area. Mainly no sidewalks. But neighborhoods are trying to be better.

I really think Nashville is a happier city than what the article suggests. But then I am sure the ones who compiled it don't live here.

No comments: