Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Seeing Clearly

When you are very nearsighted like I am, you have all kinds of hangups about your sight. Like what if you are stranded in a tragedy, and you lose your glasses, and you can't see, and you are a virtual idiot because of that? OK, that is a little extreme, but I am not alone. I told a friend once that this was one of my deep down fears, and she confessed that both she and her husband felt the same, and that is why they had lasik surgery. It was nice to know that I am not the only worrier!

But they had lasik, and I have not. Why not? Maybe I am not afraid of getting stranded without glasses anymore? Well, not really, but I do have some very comfortable contacts now, so I can see well without glasses. (I really do not like how I look in glasses.)

One reason is that I have bad astigmatism, which can be a hindrance, but the real reason is that there are times that I like to not see clearly. That is right! Sometimes I like my world a little blurry. I won't go into details, but there have been a couple of times that I have walked into a room and was glad that I could not see someone clearly. Sometimes life as a Monet painting is good.

But I am sure I will have lasik someday. I know some people have gotten Lasik in Walnut Creek.

No comments: