Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Lawyer's Milestone: My Very First Disability Hearing

I have been a licensed attorney for not quite a year now, and things have moved slowly for me, since I am doing law part time. I am still at my old job and taking a few cases on the side. I am doing that because the job market is so tight, and not even lawyers are getting hired. I am also doing that because I am afraid to hang a shingle out right now, afraid that I might not be able to support myself. I still have too many bills, and I don't know how much work I could get in every month. Plus, I'd have to buy my own health insurance, etc.

But a glimmer of sunshine is that I had my first disability hearing yesterday. I got my first client last August, after she had been denied her benefits. I helped her through the reconsideration stage, where she again was denied. Then we filed for a hearing before an administrative law judge, which was held yesterday. I stumbled a little bit during the hearing--it probably wasn't too bad, but I can beat myself up because I am a perfectionist.

The judge hinted fairly clearly that she will probably get her benefits. I was hoping he would announce at the bench, but he did not. We'll get a letter soon with the outcome. I sure hope she gets them, as she can use them. And I would get paid too!

It was good experience for me, and right now I feel like I am walking on air. I like doing that kind of law, and I want to do more of it.

No comments: