Thursday, January 8, 2009

Harmony Korine at Vanderbilt


Photo from Korine's exhibit at Vanderbilt

If you are a fan of Harmony Korine, you must make it over to Vanderbilt University's Fine Art Gallery, where the screenwriter, film producer, film director, and author has an exhibit of black and white photographs from his private archive. Titled "Harmony Korine-Pigxote"--it is a series of 49 photographs that follow an unnamed woman through various scenes. Like most of the work connected to Korine, it has a sexual overtone. The show, that opened today with a reception attended by Korine, runs through Feb. 26.

I saw his first work--the controversial Kids--and thought it was very good. I won't share the plotline in case you haven't seen it yet. I was drawn to it because he was from Nashville, and I have to admit I am attracted to art on the edge. Disturbing art. It is true. There, I said it.
I never saw Gummo, another of his films, even though it was shot in Nashville. Well, I take it back--I have seen a few snippets here and there. I want to see it, but maybe I am glad I didn't. I hear there is a cat drowning scene it, and that would be horrific to me. But it is filmed in Nashville, and rumor has it I may even see some people I know in it. So, maybe I will try to watch it at some point.
He has had some other films and projects, and they are equally or more disturbing. Who would have known that Kids was the most normal of his works? Lol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello. i'm doing research for an essay and i came across your blog.. i just wanted to correct you, not meaning to be rude or anything but anyway-

Kids was written by Harmony Korine but directed by Larry Clark.

The cat drowning is meant to be unnerving, even though i don't think it's really a real cat...and as a self confessed fan of 'disturbing art' you should probably watch scenes that are disturbing to you..and perhaps not because you might recognise someone. Although any reason that causes anyone to watch Gummo is probably good..because it's bloody amazing.

Just a thought :) happy Sunday
x

bizzgirl said...

Yes, you are right about Kids. But he did write it, and that was his first work, I believe. I'll have to watch Gummo in entirety. Thanks for posting!