Saturday, October 16, 2010

Health Insurance For the Self Employed

I am at the point now where I could think about going out on my own--hang a shingle as a lawyer--and try to make it as a lawyer, with a little side income as a writer and maybe a mystery shopper. Could I make it? At this point, it would be hard. But what give me pause is losing my benefits. I would have to pay for my own health insurance, and that stops me dead in my tracks.

Actually, only being out of law school a couple of years stops me dead in my tracks. I still have too much debt, but that will be different in a couple of years. I would have to find affordable health insurance but that still has good medical benefits.

I am sure I won't try this for a few more years until I have more experience and clients under my belt. Maybe by then health reform will result in more affordable health insurance.

No comments: