Friday, July 27, 2007

Dog Fight

The whole Michael Vick (I think that is his name) thing is horrible. I guess he is a football player. I don't know much about him! Unfortunately the one thing I do know about him is that he is involved, allegedly, with dog fighting. I have heard of dog fighting for years and hated the idea of it, and really don't like pit bulls, but I don't think I really thought about it. The videos they have been showing on the news about the dogs in the pit are terrible, horrible. But they bring to light what you are really talking about when you talk about dog fighting. They say people from all walks of life, all over the country, meet in secret to watch these things. I can't believe it. What is wrong with people? These people are evil. It makes me sick.

There are those who get upset when people have a more visceral reaction to animal abuse than people abuse. First of all, I don't really think that is true. You just have to remember the reactions people had when some of these children lately have been abducted and/or killed to realize that people had a visceral reaction about this too. I think what gets people upset is that more people tend to think of animals as things and that it is OK to abuse them or torture them. That somehow it doesn't matter. Well, it does matter. Anyone who participates in animal abuse, or watches it, is very sick. There is definitely a connection to animal abuse and people abuse. If one abuses animals, they will also abuse children. We don't have to choose which one to get upset about; there is plenty of room to be upset about both.

No comments: