Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Nashville--Condos Rising

Everywhere you look in downtown Nashville, you see hip new condo buildings going up. It is pretty exciting. I think a lot of people want to live closer to work and to town, and also to a more diverse population. Driving in from the burbs is not for everyone.

I know--I was an early adopter and bought a condo in the hip mid-town market before it was hip. And is it paying off now. People told me I could get a bigger condo--more bang for my buck--if I bought one out from town. But I didn't want to. I like to live where people are walking and milling about--where you feel close to the action, even if all you do is drive by the restaurants and the stores! Out in the burbs I might feel isolated.

There is a very ugly building next door to me, and it is coming down soon. Not a moment too soon for me. I am a preservationist at heart, but tearing this building down is kind--even though it is more than 50 years old. As one person said, it was an eyesore the day it was put up.

The building has housed an odd assortment of residents, some of them musicians. The one nice thing about the building has been the occasional impromptu outdoor concert from some up and coming artist.

But that is not enough to make me like the building. It is ugly, and getting uglier by the minute. The management has not been taking care of the building, so it has gotten progressively worse looking. People throw furniture out by the dumpster, and it stays, and stays, and stays....

The other night a group of people must have been having a final farewell party, because people were laughing and carrying on outside my bedroom window till at least 3 in the morning, maybe later, but 3 is when I think I dozed off.

I walked my dog this evening and took a good look at the monstrosity. It looks even creepier tonight as only a few residents remain, and most windows are dark. Eeek!

No comments: