Saturday, July 7, 2007

Mighty Mount Vernon

Being low on money and time, I am trying to squeeze in a real vacation while visiting my sister in Charlottesville, Virginia. Today we went to Mount Vernon, home of George Washington, our first president. It is about two hours from Charlottesville, close to Washington, D.C. My sister is an architectural historian by education, and she explained to me how the house was made of wood, but they used sand to cover the wood on the outside to make it look like block. It really makes an impressive finish and is certainly unusual and maybe even unique in house building materials. George Washington was about 22 when he inherited this beautiful house overlooking the Potomac. I came away with a greater appreciation of George and thinking he was quite the man. It would be interesting to sit down and talk to him. I wondered, if he were alive today, what business would he be in? What would be his passions and his politics?

Tonight on PBS, I got to watch one of my favorite shows, East Enders, which takes in London. The PBS channel in Nashville doesn't show it anymore. I used to date a man from Bristol, England, who said he hated that show. But I like it. The shows I saw tonight were repeats, but it reminded me how much I miss it. I also got to see a show that featured Bob Dylan, which showed clips from when he was very young.

*****************************

I have to become a smarter commenter. I have posted a few comments on others' blogs only to figure out a few moments later that they are old blogs--the authors haven't posted on there themselves for a year or more! No need to post on stale blogs.

No comments: