Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Kinder, Gentler CEO

Sometimes you see into someone's heart and are so very pleased. That happened to me today. My relative who is the head of our manufacturing company is not an emotional man and not even particularly empathetic. This morning, however, he went to the intensive care unit to see JG. I mentioned earlier that JG, a retired worker of our company, is a wonderful man who just had a terrible tragedy: He had an aortic aneurysm, and if he hadn't been taken to the hospital so quickly--in 10 minutes--he would not have lived. But he lost so much blood, they had to amputate both legs because of fear of gangrene. It has been a terrible week-and-a half for him. His kidneys have failed, he has blood clots in his head and arm, and they think the gangrene is coming back. It is just unbelievable to me. His poor wife.

My relative went to the hospital to talk with him this morning. JG hasn't regained consciousness, but the nurses and doctors are pretty sure he can hear. My relative sat on his bed and talked for about 45 minutes about how much it meant to him to have worked with him, how he was handpicked as one of the best men to help start the company, and how his hard work had helped make it a success. He talked about the good times over the years, and how much his friendship had meant. JG raised his hand a few times, and the two men held hands. It brings tears to my eyes. I never would have known about this had my relative's wife not told me. I am sure my relative would have never mentioned to me.

*************************************

Speaking of kind and gentle CEOs, Vanderbilt University's chancellor, Gordon Gee, has resigned. It came as quite a shock, as he only gave a few weeks notice. Usually a university president or chancellor will give a lot of notice, sometimes even a year. He is going back to Ohio State, where he served as president before. I got my master's degree at Vanderbilt and like Gee very much. I think he did a lot for the university. He is going through a divorce, and maybe he feels like he needs a different situation right now. I predict that someone who works at VU right now will be named the next chancellor.

*************************************

In my feeble attempt at cleaning up my condo this weekend, I tried to tackle my mound of paper. This mound includes junk mail, real mail, and things I just haven't dealt with yet. In that mound was a realtor's book I had picked up went I went to my hometown in northwestern PA earlier this summer. I still hadn't looked at it. I held my breath as I opened it, as I was hoping I would not see my grandparent's former home listed. I didn't. I knew it really wouldn't be in there, but I was going to be distraught if it was. I would like to buy that home back someday, but don't have the money now. But I want it back in the family.

No comments: