Saturday, July 14, 2007

Speaking of Burnout......

I think when we talk about burnout, we usually mean white collar burnout. That we are tired of our work, that it is not meaningful anymore, etc. But I don't think I ever hear about it in terms of blue collar burnout.

I feel that we are experiencing some of that at our manufacturing company. One 40-year old long time employee suddenly is missing a lot of work, which is wierd considering he has been an excellent employee. He is in danger of losing his job. I am afraid he is just tired of doing it. After all, he has worked there for 22 years, starting at age 18. He gets paid well and has good benefits, but there is no room for growth for him at the company, and it is terribly repetitive work. Similarly, there is a 70 year old man, or close to that age, who is starting to miss a lot of work too. I don't think he is in danger of losing his job, but it is being noticed.

On the other hand, another man in his 70s had seemed disgruntled with his job, but then my relative put him in a more responsible position. He now seems a lot happier. To be honest, however, there are not a lot of opportunties like this for people there though.

As I go forward towards helping to run the company, I want to figure out what will help motivate blue collar people. I know that earning money and having benefits is a motivator, but how do you keep people motivated year after year, when their job is not a vocation (in the calling sense)?

No comments: