Thursday, July 5, 2007

Online Business

I had my first "online" date today in quite a while. I am a member of match.com, but hid my profile a few months ago. I needed to save money and was getting frustrated with inappropriate matches--men who just seem to want to email forever, but never really meet in person, etc.. and wanted to take a break. The unusual thing was this date was out of town--I am still visiting my sister in Charlottesville, and had lunch today with someone who lives here. He contacted me right before I took my profile down, and we have emailed and talked on the phone a few times. I told him I would be visiting this week, and he suggested we get together. We had a very nice lunch at a private club. He seems nice and is quite a gentleman. Don't know if it is a romance, but it could be a friendship at least. I visit this town several times a year, so it would be nice to have a friend here.

I plan to put my profile back up in the fall, with a new photo and refreshed text. I may even switch online dating services. After you have been on the same site for a while, you keep seeing the same faces.

Some people seem to think that online dating has had its heyday and is starting to wane. I hope that is not true, because it does let you to meet people who might otherwise never cross your path. But like anything else, it has its drawbacks, including the aforementioned people who never want to meet in person, and the fact that it can be a time waster. But I have gotten to meet at least a handful of people I have liked, and even ran across two men I went to high school with!

When I first started online dating, I took it seriously and had some good success. But as time went on, I didn't pay attention to it, and started having less great results. I guess like anything, if you put some effort into it, it may pay off.

*******************************************

I really like this template for my blog. It has called "harbor." I love the water, boats, lighthouses, and harbors, so just looking at this makes me feel peaceful.

No comments: