Thursday, July 26, 2007

No charges for NOLA Doctor

Yesterday it was announced that the grand jury looking into the case of the doctor and two nurses in New Orleans accused of mercy killing is not going forward with the indictment. To me, that is good news indeed. The doctor and two nurses otherwise might have been charged with second degree murder of some elderly patients in the Katrina aftermath.

I guess if you were a family member of one who died you might want to lash out and seek vengence. But I think the doctor and the nurses did what they thought best. I can't imagine the fear that would have been facing everyone regarding these patients' fates. I haven't kept up with all of the facts, but they might have been afraid the patients would die of dehydration, lack of medical care, heat, or drowning even. What a nightmare. Knowing that this group of people, the grand jury, made this decision, gives me hope that people do have their heads on straight sometimes.

No comments: