Monday, July 16, 2007

Politickin is Alive and Well in Nashville

After work, I went to the office of my candidate of choice for mayor of Nashville and volunteered my services. The race for mayor, vice mayor, and city council will be held in a couple of weeks, and the race is alive and dynamic. About 120 people are running for office in this election, and I find that heartening--that that many people would want to devote their time to the growth of our city.

Nashville is a neat place and getting better all of the time. We need to elect a mayor and vice mayor who will continue taking this city forward--in other words, we need to elect one of the progressives. Both of the progressive candidates would be fine, but I am voting and volunteering for the one whom I have known for quite a while. He will be good for this city and he cares. There is one candidate for mayor who would definitely take us at least a few good steps backward, and we don't need that. I am a little late in volunteering, but I did bring home a stack of postcards to send out.

This is the first time I have personally known a number of the candidates in a race-at least four or five, or more if you include acquaintances. This is exciting to me

Have to admit that I watch reality TV. Not all of the shows--definitely not the chef or runway model type shows, but I do watch the romance and makeover type shows. Tonight I have been trying to decide which to watch: the Age of Love, where the 20- and 40-year old women battle for the 30-something year old man, or Extreme Makeover, where a couple from a PA town near where I am from, are both getting makeovers.

I read in the online version of my old hometown paper that the couple said if they had the chance to do the makeover show over, they wouldn't, because of all the time they had to miss from work. Wonder if any participants in the romance shows ever feel that way. I bet they do.

The guy sent a 20-year-old woman home tonight. She seemed to cry all the time on the show. And she was so catty about the older women. hmmmmm.

Now I am watching Dateline, which is featuring a murder in Knoxville. The man who committed the murder apparently was a member of the same marching band that I was.

No comments: