Friday, November 25, 2011

Boyfriend Anniversary Gifts

I used to do all kinds of strange things, like fret too much over whether men liked me or not. I also was tempted to get boyfriend gifts for anniversary or generally make myself too available to men. Then I read the Rules. Yes, the book that caused so many waves a decade or so ago. The Rules was criticized for being manipulative, or some such. But people misunderstood the reason for the book. (The authors did themselves no favor by being bad spokespeople for their own message.)

The whole idea behind the Rules is that you have some boundaries for yourself and men. That you don't get carried away and think your relationship with a man is more than it is. That you protect your heart in order to make good choices. That you don't waste precious time chasing something that isn't going to work.

I have to admit that the Rules have worked for me. At least from the standpoint of not getting hurt so much or chasing after lost causes. That in itself is invaluable. I'm not saying you should never get a boyfriend an anniversary gift. Just make sure that there is a real anniversary to celebrate.

No comments: