Friday, November 4, 2011

Operations Requires Attention To Many Details

When I worked at a business school, I was involved with all of the academic departments because of my job. I probably had the most affinity with marketing, because of my writing background and the similarities between the two fields.  I was fascinated by other departments, including entrepreneurship and biotechnology. I was probably least fascinated by operations. And funny, now that I am working in a business myself, operations is what I am mostly doing. Or need to be doing. I like doing inventory, so that is not a problem. But you have to keep up with a lot of other operations in the company. The owner here still does most of these things the old fashioned way--in his head. Which is fine, but I am not in his head. Others keep telling me that you don't have to do all of these things yourself anymore, that there is maintenance management software that can do it. I have mentioned to the owner that maybe we could research some maintenance management software, but he looks at me like I am from outer space. I don't think he sees any need for it. Because he can do it in his head. But, if I take over the company someday, I could pursue this other avenue and check into  maintenance management software, and find a company that can design something we need. I would prefer we move on to this step,  but it looks like it is on the back burner for now.

No comments: